Who does not love freebies? I'm sure I do, and I'm also sure many of you do. While there is no such thing as free lunch anymore, cold hard cash is no longer the exclusive currency nowadays. Economies have come full circle and barter trading in modern times do exist. Let me share about two places in northern Cebu's Daanbantayan town who offer freebies: Virgin Beach Resort and Skip's Beach Resort.
Free Stay at Virgin Beach Resort
|Virgin Beach Resort|
(photo grabbed from resort's website)
Virgin Beach Resort in Sitio Suba, Barangay Malbago, Daanbantayan, Cebu, Philippines offers a familiarization tour of their resort in exchange for a link on your site that points back to their website. The familiarization tour offer is only good for a complimentary room good for one night on their superior room (fan only, no aircon). No meals are also provided and they charge a corkage fee for foods brought from outside. The offer is good for one free night every calendar year for the link on your blog or website. It's not really totally free, since you may have to spend for your meals. I personally think that it is a good offer though as it saves you a lot by not paying for a room, which starts at somewhere around PHP 800 a night.
Ron Perry, the American resort owner of Virgin Beach Resort who is married to a Filipina from Bogo City, is a very amiable guy and you can converse with him freely. He is truly someone who has found his home in beautiful Cebu island.
Read more about this offer at Free Stay for a Night in a Tropical Paradise.
Lots of Freebies at Skip's Beach Resort
Skip's Beach Resort claims to be the only totally free campground in Southeast Asia. They also offer a lot of other free items even for those who just stop by to say hello. I still totally do not get the philosophy, but Skip Ellsworth (May he rest in peace!), the American who built the resort, seems to be just giving back to others all the blessings he enjoyed in life.
Here is a list of free items they offer for free at Skip's Beach Resort (even to those who are not paying to stay in their resort or hotel:
- Free Use of WiFi DSL Internet Connection
- Free Use of Sailboats or Bancas
- Free Use of 10-Speed Bicycles
- Free Open Beach Cottages
- Free Use of Snorkeling Gear
- Free Use of Flotation Tubes for Swimming
- Free Use of Public Campground with Permanent Shelters
- Free Use of Fishing Equipment (Rods & Reels)
- Free Orientation (about Daanbantayan and Malapascua) and Coffee for Visitors who Just Stop By
- Free Karaoke (No need to insert coins, it's totally free!)
- Free Lounging at the Lobby/ Bar/ Dining Area even if not staying at the resort
- Free tag-along trips to the market, to Cebu City, and to local villages
- Free Use of Toilet Facilities
- Free Use of Dirty Kitchens and Grill Areas
- Free Use of Electricity to Charge Mobile Phones and Laptop Computers
It did sound too good to be true the first time I cam across this, but it definitely is for real. I last spoke to Skip a couple of years before he died in 2008. Despite his pain and suffering, he was a very generous and kind-hearted man.
(Photo grabbed from Skip's Beach Resort Website)
Read more about this offer at Southeast Asia's Only Totally-Free Public Campground.